Thursday 8 August 2013

Home #2

OK, a week and a bit into the new job so time to put finger to keyboard a bit more.


My apartment, bottom left
I have an apartment in the 'Campus', my part of which was built about 10-11 years ago.  It's quite new and shiny still, is quite secure (security patrols/gate checks etc.) and about 1 km from work.  It's provided free by the plant ('CNE') and it includes daily muck-out, sheets, towels, electricity...). I just pay for food and the internet which works out at £15/month.  My apartment is on the left side of this block, ground floor.  It has air-con which is OK but the test will be in winter.  I'm not yet sure of the make-up of the inmates in our part, that will become apparant soon.  There are a number of Canadians about (CNE plant is a Canadian design).  I've already met a few of them.

Kinectrics provide me with a rental car (also in photo).  First time around, it's a Passat which is fine except for a knocking from the front joints when turning sharply.  Hopefully I'll get the same car again next time I'm out here as I am in the process of getting a car pass for the car park.

The campus has a couple of pools which are free to use.  Most apartments are smaller and older.  I have a feeling the the expats get the nicer ones.  There's a restaurant on site but only open at breakfast and lunch for station workers.  Apparantly you need special permission to go in if you're not a CNE employee.

It's a 1/2 mile walk into the town centre so not that far. More about the exciting selection of shops later...


No comments:

Post a Comment